Melinda Davis Lux is an M&A partner and leader of the corporate practice group for Wyche, P.A., a South Carolina law firm. Ms. Davis Lux focuses her practice on mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, and financing transactions.
- It is a seller’s market in South Carolina for profitable middle-market companies seeking capital. The challenge for these companies is not becoming more attractive to investors, but becoming more visible to them.
- Many out-of-state PE firms are active in South Carolina, and this is one of the biggest drivers of M&A activity.
- In addition, South Carolina companies are buying businesses in other regions of the U.S. and bringing the acquired company’s headquarters to South Carolina, which is also driving economic activity.
- Manufacturing remains a staple in South Carolina’s economy and this sector is active in the M&A market, as are the distribution, healthcare, advanced materials, aerospace and technology sectors.
- As PE firms migrate downstream towards lower middle-market companies, there is increased competition for local investors who want to buy small companies.